The brain is not a muscle, but it also perfectly suits the training. And we are not about sudoku and chess, but about physical activity. The founder of the studio 5 Qualities and the trainer for functional training Alexander Teplyakov told how sports increases IQ and helps to avoid stress.
1. Improves memory
Researchers at the University of British Columbia have found that regular aerobic workloads increase the volume of the hippocampus. This department of the brain is responsible for memorizing textual information: it absorbs new material and moves from short-term to long-term memory. The volume of the prefrontal and medial temporal cortex (also responsible for thinking and memory) is significantly increased after six months of regular training.
– Strength training positively affects the brain departments responsible for executive memory. Functional pieces of exercise in which the work of the eyes and hands as sensors, where the distance analysis is performed, develops the operative mind – it filters out unnecessary information and allows you to identify priority tasks. This is what helps to concentrate on everyday life.
2. The brain “grows younger.”
A well-known study by Canadian scientist Theresa Liu-Ambrose showed that strength training helps improve the quality of life of older people with moderate cognitive impairment. For six months of training, the control group of women has increased attention, problem-solving and decision-making skills. Sports activities allowed pensioners to return to an independent life.
– I know about such facts: after six months of training, people 60-80 years old could get to the gym by themselves. And a woman who could not fill an accounting declaration before got a job and returned to healthy life.
3. Improved concentration
If the child is distracted continuously during the lessons, give it to the sports section. Thanks to the experiment with schoolchildren for 10-13 years, Dutch scientists have proved: sport increases concentration. Children who took 20-minute breaks for aerobic exercises between lessons showed better results in attention tests than their peers who sat over books all morning without interruption. Adults, whose profession is associated with a high level of concentration, also use sports to improve attention.
– In the training plan for professional riders who are engaged in our studio, includes juggling. This is a very complicated, multi-tasking exercise; it gives many advantages: it increases the mass of the brain, raises IQ, treats craniocerebral diseases. There is also an anti-stress effect and a kind of meditation. The main thing – customers see the result in everyday life.
4. The stress level is lowered
About endorphin, which is produced during prolonged physical exertion (“runner euphoria”), it is written and said so much that many consciously go to relieve stress in the gym. It is possible not only to relieve tension in training but also to teach the body not to react to stress factors and not enter a state of “hit or run.” Yoga will help. Control of breathing, working with the spine, thoughtful tension and relaxation of muscles, balance – all this teaches you to control the body and emotions.
– Physical loads are excellent in training stress resistance. Negative information from the outside world will no longer be perceived as a healthy weight hung around your neck, like the weight that you carry. Working with the part of the brain responsible for emotions will allow you to more carefully and consciously approach the set tasks.
5. Increased level of intelligence
Modern research dethrones the myth that athletes are stronger than smart. Increasing the volume of the hippocampus creates new neurons in the brain. They not only improve the amount of memory but also build new connections, raise the level of intelligence. Mechanisms are not yet fully understood, but there are experiments on mice – their results confirmed that sport makes animals smarter.
– To achieve a good result, I can give the following advice – train cyclically. Within 4-6 weeks combine power and aerobic training. After six weeks, when your endocrine and nervous systems start to get tired, for 2-4 weeks, go to work on dexterity, work with thick muscles and breathing practices.